Friday, March 26, 2010

Why We March

I march for many reasons. Taevin entered our lives successfully on September 25th, 2009 at Silverton Hospital. He needed no lifesaving measures, no NICU visit, just love. I march in thanksgiving for him and in hopes for more babies to have a safe and healthy entrance to this world.
Rieve has grown up to be quite the trouble making, opinionated, sweet and delightful 4 year old. I march in appreciation for all we were given to save his life. He is our miracle.
I march because I know how lucky and fortunate we are to have Denavae in our lives. Denavae is a vibrant, beautiful, and intelligent 4 year old. Because of her experience in the NICU, she survived and thrives. Thanks to March of Dimes, NICUs were established in 1976 (the year I was born).
We will never forget our 2 months in the NICU. This is Rieve next to a Beanie Baby Bear (yes, a regular size Beanie Baby) on St. Patrick's Day.
Rhett holding our tiny miracle. You can see the fear and hesitation in his eyes. I cannot imagine what this time would have been like without a NICU for our babies.
Rieve was born weighing 1lb 5oz. In utero, the perinatologist discovered Rieve's blood flow out to 0f the placenta was compromised and sometimes reversing. This is a fatal condition if not resolved. I waited in the hospital on bed rest for 9 days until he started to show signs of failing. At that point, we knew Rieve would expire within 24-48 hours if not delivered. We delivered. It was probably the most frightening day of my life. After I was gutted, I waited for Rhett in the recovery room. I was afraid to ask him how they were, so I didn't.
Denavae weighed 2lbs 2oz at birth. She struggled more early on because her body (unlike her brother's) was not preparing itself for delivery. Both babies were given surfactant, a drug developed through MOD research to help the lungs open upon breathing. This, along with numerous other technologies, saved their lives.

Why do we march? For babies, ours and those yet to be.

Please support our efforts to raise money and awareness for this organization. Visit our pledge site at marchforbabies.org/mickistwins

No comments:

Post a Comment